Friday, September 4, 2009

Conversations With God



I did not write your
words down right away
because I did not have a
pen and the one over there
was theirs and I wanted
to move from the dining
car to the lounge car
so I couldn't take their
pen with me. Servers do
not like their pens taken
though it happens.

So I took what you said,
what I thought, and
remembered it. Just so you
and I didn't forget, we
picked out clues along the
way and made jokes out of
them like, 'Does the fact
that John Kerry's wife, Mrs.
Heinz, who owns Heinz foods,
or whatever it's called, selling Amtrak
Heinz syrup and serving it with
my breakfast of French Toast
make me a Democrat, or just
a contributor to a-



-a business that just so
happens to be one of the largest
food corporations on the planet and
is connected to the Democratic
Party through Marriage. God
forbid that business interests
be connected by values, principles
and ethics. But what do I
know about marriage? I know
there is a bitter taste in
my mouth. Corn syrup is
no satisfying replacement for
Maple Syrup, but then again
John Kerry didn't win and
Bush was no substitute for
what could've been or is?
Obama's wife planted an
organic garden on the White
House lawn, now that's what
I'm talkin' 'bout.

On the train ride back to PDX, I had breakfast in the dining car, a treat to myself that I tried to avoid on the way to MSP, but, alas, I did not pack the right food and it went bad on me. So on my way back I decided I would moderate my apples and bread that I packed along with a nice diner breakfast on the plains of Montana. Being alone I tried the best I could to get along with my thoughts. Looking back I can't help but try and deny a certain level of schizophrenia, however, denial being the first stage of something worse, you might say that I was being a little schizophrenic. Being as old as I am though warrants a certain level of freedom; and I took it. So 'you' in the receipt poem is the constantly evolving factor upon myself. Most of the time, I assure you, it is real people, but on this train ride it was just me, myself, and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment