Sunday, October 18, 2009

My feet were draggin': "Party for the Fight to Write*"
















You hounded on me for some
reason when rational
explanations fail to exist for
why they torture those who
resist. Why they rape,
murder, and devastate,
yet retain themselves
religious. It's all a
spiral of violence and
you've begun with me
only to see the helix
you're headed down won't
end with me

Catholic Social Teaching gave me this perspective of seeing violence as spiral, a, sort of, black hole, or double helix as more understanding of violence is gained. This kind of perspective allowed me to see violence as a process, so I could see it objectively and try to identify how the violence 'in my life' merely existed by my 'perpetuation' of it. That's what this poem is about. It was for, who some might say is the little 'devil' on our shoulder that harps on us all, how I felt like I was harping on myself all the time when really, there are 'much bigger fish to fry'. The mistakes that I make and/or problems I have are really little when you think about it. It showed me where violence begins in my life, how I knew it wouldn't end, but how it didn't end with me.

It's also a little bit about how the pen is mightier than the sword, which made me think twice about the phrase "Party For Your Right To Fight" made popular by Public Enemy followed up by the Beasty Boys with their song, "Party, For Your Right, To Pa-a-arty", and finally with Atmosphere's "Party for the Fight to Write":

*

No comments:

Post a Comment